We supported Ibrahim* and his young children after his wife, Lorna, was sadly killed in a road traffic collision with a lorry. At the time of the collision, Lorna was retraining for a new career and was on her way to sit her final exam. We supported the family with accessing financial and emotional support and childcare and settled their claim for £850,000.
Ibrahim and Lorna shared responsibility in their home and split their time between work and providing care for their children.
- As a result of Lorna’s death, not only had Ibraham lost his wife, but also his support network, and he was struggling to juggle everything.
- Ibrahim needed urgent support to continue working, whilst also caring for his children, cooking and cleaning.
How we helped
As soon as we were in touch with Ibrahim we recognised he needed some urgent support. We worked proactively with the defendant insurers to make sure they were onboard and to help them to fund some urgent support.
- We involved a case manager quickly, who arranged for a cleaner to go into the family home to alleviate some of the strain, as well as seeking counsellors for the children to help them to come to terms with the loss of their mum.
- By working collaboratively and proactively with the insurers, we were able to get £70,000 interim payments (payments that are made by the other side while a case is ongoing to help pay for support and alleviate financial stresses), which allowed Ibrahim to take some time off work to look after his children and grieve the loss of his wife.
Results and outcome
We settled the claim for Ibrahim and his family for £850,000. This much needed funding will now help him to support his children through to adulthood.
- With the help of their case manager, the family are now looking at employing a housekeeper and nanny from their local community to provide help and support long term to the family, easing some of the pressure on Ibrahim.
- This settlement means that Ibrahim will now be able to return to work, knowing that his children are safe and well cared for in his absence.
- This outcome on ongoing support throughout the case was only possible due to the collaborative working relationship and rapport built with the defendant insurers. This was because of open and honest communication between both parties throughout, ensuring everyone knew what was happening in the case and understanding the needs of the family from the outset.
*not his real name