For advice call 0800 612 8196

Defective work equipment claims

Employers have a responsibility to make sure that work equipment is safe. Machinery accident claims or other work accident claims due to defective work equipment can include machinery, appliances, apparatus, equipment, tools or installations for use at work. If you’ve sustained an injury due to dangerous or faulty work equipment, you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries.

Speak to us

or call 0800 612 8196

Feefo logo

sia-trusted Headway-banner-icon MTSP

No hidden fees – we focus on outcomes, not profits


Supporting you after an accident at work

We understand how stressful it is to sustain an accident at work, especially if you cannot return to work for some time because of your injuries. Claiming compensation can help to alleviate any financial strains you may be feeling because of a loss of income, as well as help to cover the cost of specialist treatment and rehabilitation to help you to achieve your best outcome and improve your recovery.

We're specialists in serious injury compensation claims but we also offer so much more than law. We have a full wraparound service, including from our clinically trained rehabilitation and support coordinators who can help you to achieve your best possible outcome.


There are no hidden costs and we don’t claw back shortfall fees, meaning you keep more of your compensation


Dedicated rehabilitation & support coordinators to help you access the specialist help you need

Interacting compass-2

Our client stories

Empowering people to rebuild their lives

Sean* sustained a severe traumatic brain injury when his head was crushed by machinery in an accident at work. We helped him to claim over £2.5 million in compensation to allow him to move to a new home and continue with some of his pre-injury hobbies.

Client Stories

Our support

How we can help you

We're specialists - we only do injury-related law, which means you can be sure you're receiving expert guidance and advice.

Why choose us?

Caroline Trinder

Rehabilitation and Support Lead

Our rehabilitation and support coordinators

We have a dedicated team of rehabilitation and support coordinators, who all have a background in health and social care, on hand to help you with our full wraparound support.

  • Specialist support at the earliest stage, alongside your legal team
  • Plugging any gaps in the care you're receiving
  • Emergency fund to pay for initial care, aids and equipment
  • Collaborative working with your treating team to get you home safely
  • Psychological support and arranging counselling
  • Exploring grants and funding options available to you

Our Process

Guiding people through the legal process

You might be worried about making a claim against your employer if you've sustained injuries in an accident at work. However, your employer cannot dismiss you for making a claim. We're here to help you make a claim and will deal with everything for you. 

Free meeting without the need to go ahead with a claim
We’ll come to see you face to face wherever you feel comfortable to find out more about you and your family, what you’re worried about and how we can start helping you. We’ll also talk to you about how your case can be funded, so you’ll have peace of mind and reassurance that making a claim won’t cost you money, even if your claim isn’t successful. We don’t believe in taking money off injured people like some other firms, so there are no hidden charges
Introduce our Rehabilitation and Support Team
Once we understand what’s worrying you, our Rehabilitation and Support Team will be in touch to understand more about your needs and to help you access the urgent support you need. The team include health and social care professionals who can help to plug any gaps in your care. They’re on hand to help with discharge planning and making sure you have everything you need to go home safely. We’ve also got an emergency fund to help pay for any initial care, aids and equipment you might need.
Contact the other side to get the ball rolling
We’ll send a letter of claim to the defendant insurers—this is basically a letter telling them what’s happened and why we think they’re responsible. It’s important we make contact with the defendant insurers as soon as possible to make sure your claim can move forward without any delays. They’re allowed time to look into what’s happened and tell us if they admit they’re to blame, they think they’re partly to blame, or they deny blame all together. Sometimes, there’s no response at all. However, while they’re doing this, we’ll be working with them to try and get funding for private rehabilitation to help your recovery from the very beginning of the claim.
Asking for interim payments
You might be worried about the impact your injuries have had on you and money worries if you can’t work. While steps one to three are ongoing, we’ll also be asking the defendant insurers for interim payments. These are payments that you get as soon as possible before your case has settled that can help pay for any suggested treatment, help with any financial worries you might have about paying your rent or mortgages, or paying bills, and to put in place a full treating and care team, helping to make sure you achieve your best possible outcome.
Gathering evidence
Next, we’ll start gathering the evidence. This could be to help prove that the other person involved was to blame (known as liability) and medical evidence to show what injuries you have, that these injuries were caused by the incident and how they’ve affected your life (known as causation and quantum). Liability evidence could be CCTV or police reports, and medical evidence includes your hospital or GP records, as well as reports from medical experts who specialise in your injuries.
Getting you the rehabilitation you need
As we carry on gathering all the information to build your case, we’ll be working alongside professionals who are specialists in your injuries to look at how we can support you and get you the best recovery possible. We do this by organising the highest quality rehabilitation and treatment for your specific needs. We’ll keep working with the defendant insurers to get all this funded for you while your claim is still ongoing so that you don’t have to wait.
Working out how much your claim is worth
After gathering all the evidence, we’ll also calculate how much your claim should be worth. We’ll look at what losses you’ve had since your injuries including from not being able to work, as well as any losses you’ll experience in the future. We’ll also think about all the things you’ll need now and in time to come, including things like care packages, treatment, aids, equipment, changing your home so it works better for you, and any number of others things that might be important to you (for example getting back to a hobby you love or sourcing an adapted holiday home for you to enjoy time with your family).
Fighting for your best possible outcome
Throughout your whole case we’ll be negotiating with the defendants—whether it’s to get them to accept they’re to blame, agree to release some interim payments to help with your recovery or discussing how much compensation you should get. We’ll always fight for your best possible outcomes.
Lifelong support
Even after your case has settled, we’re still here for you. Our specialist Court of Protection team can help you if your family member can’t manage their own affairs anymore, or we can set up a Personal Injury Trust to make sure you can still claim the benefits you need. We’re also here to help with financial advice to make sure your compensation lasts you for the rest of your life.


Frequently asked questions

Here are the answers to a few of the questions we get asked regularly. But if you have any other questions, please get in touch. We're here to help.

See all FAQ's

Can I claim compensation for a family member who was fatally injured due to defective work equipment?

If a family member is fatally injured as a result of defective work equipment, you can bring a claim on their behalf against their employer. Although claiming compensation won’t change what has happened, it can help to ease any financial strains you may be feeling as a result of the loss of your loved one, as well as cover costs such as funeral expenses and probate costs.

Contact us for advice: 0800 612 8196

How long do I have to make a defective work equipment compensation claim?

The general rule for all compensation claims is that you have three years from the date of the accident to bring a claim. There are some circumstances where this limit can be extended, such as if someone has lost capacity or they are under 18-years-old. That said, it is always best to speak to a specialist solicitor about a potential claim as soon as possible after the accident.

Contact us for advice: 0800 612 8196

What qualifies as defective work equipment?

There are a few things that can mean that work equipment is defective, including:

  • Work equipment that has not been properly maintained.
  • Work equipment and machinery that has not been regularly inspected and left to deteriorate.
  • Faulty equipment that has not been repaired correctly.
  • Working equipment or machinery which is inadequate for the job.
  • Employees using work equipment that they have not been adequately trained for.
  • Ill-fitting protective clothing; masks and gloves, etc. whilst handling or using machinery.
  • Machinery and work equipment that do not have adequate safety guards or faulty safety guards.

Contact us for advice: 0800 612 8196

Who is responsible for defective work equipment?

Your employer has a duty of care to keep you safe whilst you are at work, and this includes ensuring any equipment or machinery you are using for your job is safe too. This includes making sure that all equipment is properly maintained and the condition is not deteriorating, regular inspections are undertaken, ensuring any defective equipment is repaired correctly, as well as providing adequate training and safety guards where needed.

Contact us for advice: 0800 612 8196

Will I lose my job if I try and claim against my employer?

No, your employer cannot fire you for making a claim for compensation as a result of defective work equipment. Your employer must have insurance to cover the company should something like this happens, and so your claim will be paid out by the insurance policy rather than the company itself.

Claiming compensation can also highlight any dangers in your workplace, including ensuring any defective work equipment is adequately repaired or replaced, or that extra safety training and safeguarding is put in place to stop accidents happening in the future.

Contact us for advice: 0800 612 8196

Can I make a no win no fee claim?

All our compensation claim cases are taken on a no win no fee basis. This means that if you make a claim, there is no financial risk to you. If you lose your case, you will not have to pay our fees.

Contact us for advice: 0800 612 8196

What injuries can I claim compensation for due to defective work equipment?

Due to the nature of defective work equipment accidents, there are many different serious injuries that can occur. Some of the more common injuries include:

  • Crush injuries
  • Broken bones and orthopaedic injuries
  • Electric shocks and electrocution
  • Amputation
  • Spinal cord injuries causing paralysis
  • Head and brain injuries

Contact us for advice: 0800 612 8196

What can I claim compensation for after an accident due to defective work equipment?

There are many things you can claim compensation for if you’ve sustained injuries as a result of faulty equipment. These can include:

  • Any earnings you may have lost as a result of being unable to work (both now and in the future)
  • Pay off any debts that have built up since your injury
  • Pay for petrol/parking or taxis so that you can attend appointments at the hospital or other medical setting
  • Rehabilitation and treatment to help with your injuries
  • Emotional support, including any counselling you may need
  • Any surgery you may need, including on a private basis
  • Ongoing medical treatment
  • Buying and maintaining specific aids and equipment to assist with your mobility
  • Fund adaptations to your home, or for more appropriate accommodation
  • Vocational support to help you to return to work

Contact us for advice: 0800 612 8196

Get in touch

Request a callback,
or call 0800 612 8196