Call our team
0800 912 9987

Need advice?
Request a call

Hit and run claim

We are catastrophic and serious injury solicitors who provide legal advice together with financial, physical and emotional support.

Many people wrongly think that they cannot make a hit and run claim because the other driver has fled the scene. Although the claims process is slightly different from other road collision cases, a compensation claim is still possible.

If you have been involved in a hit and run collision, or if you are hit by a stolen vehicle or an uninsured driver, we can help you make a compensation claim.

If the Police cannot trace the driver responsible for the collision, then we can help you proceed with a road collision claim through the MIB – The Motor Insurers’ Bureau. The MIB was specifically set up to provide a central fund to help with these types of incidents.

See how we can help >

double quotes

Helping with your personal injury claim is only part of our service – helping you to get your life back on track after a serious injury is our primary aim.

Making a claim

There are various different hit and run compensation claims that can be lodged, including:

  • If you were the driver or passenger in a vehicle that was hit by a driver who then fled the scene.
  • If you were a pedestrian who was knocked down by a hit and run driver.
  • If you were on a bicycle or motorbike.

It is really important to report the collision to the Police as soon as possible (for MIB compensation claims this must be within 14 days or as soon as is reasonable).

Any claim that is dealt with by the MIB will go through the same process. There are several stages with an MIB claim, and we can guide you through the entire process and take away the stress of making a claim.

The first step is to complete the claim form. This will tell the MIB exactly what happened in the collision and the circumstances surrounding it. We will complete this for you from the information you provide to us and submit the form direct to the MIB.

The second step is for the MIB to investigate the claim and gather together all the information they need. This includes accessing the police report for the collision, as well as speaking to any witnesses. They will create a statement for you to read and sign for your agreement.

The third step is the decision by the MIB to either accept or reject your claim.

If the MIB accept your claim, they will then arrange for you to see a medical expert to provide a report about your injuries and your prognosis. This report will be forwarded to us to discuss with you and check you are happy with the content.

If your claim is rejected, the MIB will provide you with details of why they have rejected your application. We can then advise you on how you can appeal this decision and deal with this appeal on your behalf. We will also discuss with you the likelihood of succeeding with your claim.

If you are successful, the fourth and final step is the offer from the MIB. This will be in full settlement of your claim. We will negotiate on your behalf to get the maximum amount of compensation available to you.

How do hit and run accident claims work?

  • The MIB deal with a high volume of claims, therefore the process can sometimes take longer than average.
  • Awards are based on the severity of your injury and the length of time you have or are likely to have the symptoms.
  • An award will only be made if the MIB accept that the collision was the untraced driver’s fault.
  • The MIB is entitled to reduce your compensation if they believe you were partly to blame (e.g. if you were not wearing a seatbelt, or were careless crossing the road).
  • You must have motor insurance for your own vehicle to be able to claim from the MIB (as applicable).
  • You will have to prove the collision was reported to the police.
  • You cannot recover compensation for property damage unless the vehicle that caused the accident (rather than its driver) is traced and you are also claiming compensation for injuries.
  • Once your application has been accepted, your injuries and any losses must be proved. You must attend a medical examination which will be arranged by the MIB.
  • A claim to the MIB must be submitted as soon as possible but within 3 years of the accident.

How we can help

We pull together with you and your family to support you with expert legal advice, financial assistance including benefits advice and emergency funds, physical help with early intervention for treatment, rehabilitation and therapies, as well as emotional and psychological support for the whole family.

When your world is turned upside down after a catastrophic or serious injury, see how CFG Law can help you get your life back on track and enable you to achieve your best outcome and lead a fulfilled life.

Speak to one of our expert serious injury solicitors - free of charge

Request a callback >