We successfully secured £1m compensation for Becky* who sustained spinal injuries which impacted her bladder and bowel function in a crash involving three cars. Becky transferred her case to CFG two and a half years after her injuries because she wasn’t happy with her previous solicitor.
The challenges faced by Becky
Before her injuries, Becky was extremely fit and healthy, but because of her injuries she had to scale this right back. The impact of her bladder and bowel dysfunction had a knock-on effect on lots of areas of her life.
- She had to give up her dream career in healthcare because she was unable to manage her condition against the demands of her job.
- She was a keen athlete and her injuries meant she was no longer able to train to the same intensity and compete in races.
- When Becky first spoke to us, she already had a solicitor dealing with her claim. They had not obtained any medical evidence and were just concerned with her soft tissue injuries. Becky felt they did not listen to her about her bladder and bowel dysfunction.
- They had received an offer of £30k to settle the claim and had suggested Becky accept this offer, even though they had no evidence to value her claim.
How we helped with these challenges
As Becky’s case was close to limitation, we immediately instructed an expert in spinal injuries who assessed Becky at home and recommended the support and specialist equipment Becky needed to help with her independence.
- We managed to agree an interim payment (advance payments that are received while a case is ongoing to pay for early intervention, help and support) to put in place specialist rehabilitation including psychotherapy and dietic support to help manage Becky’s bowel dysfunction.
- Obtained medical evidence that supported the value of her claim and her ongoing and future needs.
The results and outcome
- This settlement has meant that Becky has been able to buy a new home which is more suited to her needs post injury.
- Even though she was unable to return to her dream career, she now has financial security
*not her real name