Call our team
0800 912 9987

Need advice?
Request a call

Frequent Asked Questions

We’re here to help. Can’t find an answer? Get in touch and well get back to you as soon as we can.

    ‹ Back

    How do I know if I have a criminal injury claim?

    To apply for criminal injuries compensation, there are certain conditions you must comply with. These are:

    • The incident must have happened in either England , Wales or Scotland. (Northern Ireland has its own separate Criminal Injuries rules.
    • The incident which caused your injuries must have been reported to the police as soon as reasonably possible. If there was a delay in reporting the incident to the police, your criminal injuries compensation claim might be rejected.
    • Your injuries must be sufficiently serious and within the CICA’s list of eligible injuries.
    • You must meet the CICA’s residence and nationality requirements. This includes UK citizens, EU citizens, close relatives of UK citizens and someone who is ordinarily resident in the UK.
    • You must cooperate with the police throughout their investigation and support the criminal process to ensure everything is done to bring your assailant to justice.
    • If you have a criminal record, you may not be eligible to claim. We can advise you on this point.
    • The claim must be made within two years of the incident which caused your injuries (for children, claims must be made before their 20th birthday). This time may be extended in certain circumstances (e.g. sexual abuse claims).

    Ask a Solicitor

    Can’t find an answer? Get in touch and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We’re here to help.

    Contact us

    Speak to one of our expert serious injury solicitors for a free consultation

    0800 988 7072

    Our phone lines are open 24/7.